May 21, 2017

Weekend Getaway: Washington, DC



In an effort to spend more time together (which is surprisingly really hard to do these days), beau and I decided to take a weekend trip away to the nation's capital. We booked two nights in a hotel in Maryland - about a 30 minute drive from D.C. a couple weeks in advance and excitedly waited in anticipation for this time away from home. I haven't been to DC in 10+ years (I attended a pre-college program at the University of Maryland College Park during the summer of my junior and senior year of high school and we always took trips to the museums in DC).


 After work Friday evening, we sat down and had leftovers for dinner, packed up a few last minute items and got on the road around 7:30 pm. Despite my fear of being stuck in traffic, the ride south was pretty easy and smooth. We arrived at our hotel at around 10 pm and tucked in for the night. 

Saturday morning, we woke up pretty early. It was almost like clockwork. Clearly sleeping in wasn't in the stars for us, even if we tried. That was okay though, as we had plans to see a really cool art exhibit at the Hirshorn (Yayoi Kusama: Infinity Mirrorsand knew we had to stand in line for tickets. We arrived at the museum at around 9 am, and no-lie, the line to the museum spanned 2.5 really long city blocks. We decided to give it a shot anyway and stood in line for an hour. Within the first five minutes of getting in the queue, we moved about up about the length of 1-1.5 blocks, so that was amazing to us. We were sure we would get in at that rate. But at about 40 minutes in, and only moving up a few feet as patrons seemingly lost their patience and got out of line, I decided to take a walk down to the entrance to see exactly how many more people were ahead of us. Needless to say, there were a LOT! I mean, the line ahead of us stretched about one long city block down (0.2 miles), then wrapped around the gate to the museum, and then around the circular shaped building. That was enough for me to give up on seeing the exhibit. With that many people in line, we were not guaranteed to get in. Plus, it would be a huge waste to our day. So, we excused ourselves from the line and made our way towards the Washington Monument. (Btw, the line was about 2.5 blocks long BEHIND us!!!)






We spent the rest of the day walking around the city, stopping at all the monuments and memorials. The distance between each seemed a little daunting, especially as we ventured over to the Thomas Jefferson memorial and still wanted to get to the White House and the Capitol Building. But we toughed it out and got our steps in! My legs almost failed me by the time we got to the Capitol. A part of me was a little happy that they had closed the steps off, because I honestly don't think I would have made it.


We took a little rest break at the Capitol then started making our way to the car. We passed by the U.S. Bontanic Garden just a few blocks ahead and had to stop inside! I am glad we did. It's what #urbanjungleblog dreams are made of! We finished the evening off with dinner and an Asian fusion place back in Maryland, played a few rounds of a card game (it's our thing) and then went to bed. The next day, we took it easy. Check--out was at noon, so we slept in (and honestly spent a good chunk of time trying to find a brunch spot that wasn't fully booked for Mother's Day), had brunch, then drove home.





This kind of trip is not everyone's cup of tea, but we enjoyed it. We love going to places we've never been before to explore. The break away from the stresses of life is also nice. I find that I am much more pleasant when I'm away, and Beau's mind is more at ease. Also, I'm pretty sure I lost a couple inches in my trouble areas from that walk!

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like a really peaceful, yet exciting vacation. I would have gotten out of line as well. I'm typically not a really impatient person, but I'm a definitely not here for long lines. I'm glad you all were able to enjoy your trip despite not being able to enter the museum. I've never been to DC, but I hope to visit soon with my family.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not here for the long lines either. That's why I didn't even try to get into the new Museum of African American History... one day we will try! You should definitely go with your kiddos! All of the Smithsonian museums are free, so there is a lot to see, do, explore!

      Delete

Comments/Questions are always welcomed and appreciated.
Thank you for stopping by!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...