March 31, 2011
We need to know what is going on so that we can begin closing the GAP between the health outcomes of African American women and Caucasian women.
If you are an African American woman who was diagnosed with breast cancer (or if you know of someone who was), please participate or invite them to participate in this study (Click link).
March 30, 2011
"Love is just forgiveness when you know you've been done wrong
And taking every heartbreak and turn into song
Love is just believing when you cannot see the light
In every situation, shine as the brightest star..."
Hope is a beautiful singer/song writer I discovered and fell in love with a few years ago. The first song I heard by her was "The Rain Don't Last". After hearing that song, I wanted to hear more so I sought her out until I found a selection of her songs on her personal Myspace page. Needless to say, I have been listening to the same 9 songs since then, and honestly, it's been a few years now.
This is a double smile feature today!
(...triple if you count the fact that she'll be releasing an album soon)
March 29, 2011
Have you ever wanted something so bad, you're afraid it won't come?
Do you wonder if you're not getting said thing because you don't want it for the right reasons, even though you are certain that you do?
Have you ever wanted something so bad, you've imagined several different scenarios of gaining it?
When will it happen?
There is a time and a season for everything (Ecclesiastes 3:1)
..... Though sometimes, fruition falls into our hands.
March 28, 2011
I wanted to name him Earl if I ever did take him home. He's probably made a snake full and happy for a few days by now.
Ice Cave. I stayed at the library on campus from about 11 am one day to 1 am the following morning and was greeted by an ice covered mess. I sat there waiting for it to defrost (b/c I didn't have one of those ice scraper tools, and luckily the guy parked next to me left the library around that time and volunteered to scrape the ice off.
The QU cleanup crew after that huge snow storm in CT... (on top of the 30-something inches they already had)
I pass by this pond everyday I ride the shuttle and it never ceases to amaze me how beautiful it is.
View of Hamden and downtown New Haven from the York Hill Student Center. Well, once you are able to see past the two dorm buildings.
Dear beau, I still think he had training wheels on his motorcycle. ツ
GPOY (I know this isn't tumblr)
My mom's Hippeastrum bloomed on the last night of Spring break.
March 24, 2011
by Carrie Underwood
"This is my temporary home, it's not where I belong
Windows and rooms that I'm passing through
This is just a stop on the way to where I'm going
I'm not afraid because I know
This is my temporary home"
March 22, 2011
.... Well, how about that!...
Image: Methylene Blue staining of cells.
...not even close!
(obviously I didn't plate my cells correctly)
I don't even know how to go about writing this lab report knowing that the data is inaccurate.
March 20, 2011
March 16, 2011
- Your 2nd grade teacher would not have forced you to be the one to say “heads down, thumbs up” while playing Seven-up on Game Day Fridays; That drastic haircut at the salon could have been prevented in 10th grade; You would not have had so much bottled-up anger to be released in family therapy; You would not have been the only person to use the microphone for your presentation in bio freshman year; you would be more assertive in your speech today. You would never second guess your responses. You would not be so reserved. Your grammar would have been at least 5 times better. You would be more willing to share your opinions. Most importantly, you would be more confident and willing to make your own decisions instead of having people make those decisions for you.
- From that one time you lost all your money at Primary school in Jamaica, you should have learned your lesson in guarding your finances. Who knows? Maybe you would be a little wiser in spending and saving today.
- In a way, it fools everyone into thinking that you are okay. It also makes you seem less mean-spirited.
- There is someone out there who will love and accept all of them.
- Having more clothes and shoes than the next kid does not necessarily mean that your life is better. They don’t replace the void your parents did not fill.
- Playing is not only fun for a child, but it leaves them with lifelong communication and abstract thinking skills.
- You won’t always be the ‘most intelligent’ student at school.
- Procrastination and tardiness is so unbecoming.
- ... Bawl your eyes out even! Life is full of ups and downs. (Your life just seemed to have had more downs than up, but it’s okay to let it out.). You will feel a little better when the tears have dried.
- Not only will it give you peace of mind, but it will also bring restoration among your family and friends.
March 15, 2011
A. Age: 23
B. Bed size: Queen at home; twin at school.
C. Chore you hate: Washing pots
D. Dogs: I’ve never owned a pet.
E. Essential start to your day: Devotion! Prayer and reading a passage of scripture from the Bible.
F. Favorite color: Various shades of green. I like other colors too, but I wouldn’t say they’re my favorite.
G. Gold or silver: Gold. I think it compliments my skin tone the best.
H. Height: 5’7”-ish
I. Instruments you play: In middle school, I played the clarinet. I would love to take that up again… seriously.
J. Job title: Student, soon to be Research Scientist I or II (I hope!).
K. Kids: None
L. Live: in Philadelphia, PA. Currently residing in Connecticut for graduate school.
M. Mom’s name: Bev
N. Nicknames: Gel, Jelly beans, Persimmon (Percy), and Beaker (Beaks).
O. Overnight hospital stays: I don’t think I have stayed overnight in a hospital.
P. Pet peeve: Pre-mature anger and exaggerated sneezes, among others.
Q. Quote from a movie: It’s really hard to pick just one favorite movie quote. Luckily, I’ve been harvesting movie quotes for a few years now. Here is one of my faves: "I'm not a smart man, but I know what love is" -Forest Gump-
R. Righty or Lefty: Righty
S. Siblings: Two older sisters, named Opal and Dahlia.
T. Time you wake up: Around 8:30am.
U. Underwear: I used to wear an undershirt (camisole/tank top) with every outfit, even in the summer heat.
V. Vegetable you dislike: Asparagus and okra.
W. What makes you run late: Hair mishaps and waiting until the last minute to shower and get dressed.
X. X-rays you’ve had: Breast (ultrasound).
Y. Yummy food you make: I make a lot of yummy foods. Specifically, my shrimp fettucine alfredo and pan seared pork chops are really yummy.
Z. Zoo animal favorite: Pandas, peacocks, elephants, tapirs, and any primate species.
**All but two photos are from here. Others are my own.**
March 9, 2011
March 4, 2011
"I Know You Won't"
by Carrie Underwood